Executive Director Opportunity in Bozeman, Montana
The American Computer & Robotics Museum (ACRN) is seeking an Executive Director to direct the growth of the museum to through a major expansion campaign.
The Museum The ACRM is a unique and important institution with one of the finest collections ever amassed on the history of technology and is the oldest continuously operating museum of its kind. Its mission is to collect, preserve, interpret, and display the artifacts and history of the information age. The museum has received glowing reviews from luminaries like E.O. Wilson of Harvard (“Inch for inch the best museum in the world”), been voted one of the 10 Best Free Museums in the US by USA Today, and is the #1 thing to do in Bozeman according to TripAdvisor. Locally, the Museum has become an important resource for school visits and the involvement of Montana State University students.
Bozeman, Montana The ACRM is located in beautiful Bozeman, Montana. Located 90 minutes from Yellowstone National Park, Bozeman frequently secures top ranking as one of the best places to live in the nation due to its proximity to year round outdoor recreational opportunities, vibrant culture, thriving economy as a high tech hub, and the home to Montana State University which is highly renowned for its engineering and research focus
Expansion Campaign The ACRM is now about to undertake a major campaign to evolve into a significantly larger and more established institution. The new Executive Director, in conjunction with a newly expanded Board of Directors, will be central to developing a Strategic Plan, growing the staff and scale of the institution, major fundraising, and overall operations. The ACRM is currently a fairly small organization with a minimal staff. The Board feels that this is the time to grow the museum into its next form which will include a new location and facility, increased staffing and programming, and an endowment to aid in sustainable operations.
Executive Director Position The museum’s new Executive Director will have a broad range of responsibilities and authorities to help the ACRM realize its goals. Some of the key functions of this position are:
● Oversees all aspects of Museum operations including administration, budget, and staff.
● Oversees exhibition planning and delivery
● Oversees handling, conservation, insurance, and loans of collections
● Ensures the Museum has proper security and facility maintenance
● Leads outreach and public programs including educational programs with local schools
● Oversees advertising and social media programs
● Oversees the transition to, and future maintenance of, an updated collections management system
● Leads the overhaul of the Museum digital and web presence, including the provision of open access catalogues and high-resolution images of the Museum collections
● Engages with local stakeholders to ensure the Museum is meeting local needs
● Coordinates with Montana State University on all joint interests
● Leads the Strategic Planning effort to push the ACRM into the next level of operational effectiveness and social impact
● Grows the staff from a few volunteers to a small professional team
● Leads fundraising activities for annual operations and capital projects
● Ensures proper communication with the Board of Directors and coordinates policy decisions for the Board
● Experience or demonstrated interest in the history of technology
● Minimum three (3) years of experience in Museum management
● Administrative experience with non-profit organizations
● Experience growing an institution or staff
● Excellent communication skills
● Self-starter: able to conceive of tasks and see them through with little to no guidance
● Supervisory experience of three (3) or more employees
● Fundraising experience for capital and operational support
● Previous experience in a technical or scientific museum
● Connections to the Museum field, tech industries, and corporate sponsors
Salary Range: $55,000 - $80,000
For current information on the ACRM, see www.compustory.com
Send Letter of Interest, Resume/C.V., and the names of three (3) References with contact information to: ACRM.email@example.com. Note, references will not be contacted without prior applicant notification.
Deadline: March 22, 2019